Thursday, June 5

Ugh...Work




Work has been picking up lately. a lot. We're implementing a new Management Information System, a big-brother-esque program that will handle everything from estimating and invoicing to logging employee time on jobs. I'm the point man on the implementation, as well as an expanding role as IT guy and sys-admin. I'm kind of enjoying the tech side of the job, but we're hitting crunch time on the data processing which is translating into more working hours. I got a new laptop that's real flash, so at least I can work from home some, but it's still cutting into my riding. This weekend I may have to come up to the shop and install the new server system which has finally arrived.

It seems like every time I get on track with more riding, life steps in and puts the brakes on. I know this is something we all fight as cyclists, but it's so frustrating. Tonight will be three times this week I brought my bike to work with plans of riding and now won't be able to. Yuck. It really sucks when it's work related. I can complain about all the things I have to do, all the jobs I have to cover, but in the end, that's my job. I'm here to handle all the shit no one else will take on. It pays all right, but it sure is a frustrating way to work some days. Of course, other days go by and it's pretty easy, so maybe I shouldn't complain too loudly.

So, anyway, it looks like I'll be riding the trainer tonight for a half hour while dinner cooks so I can work into the night on my laptop. I'd rather be out on my bike even if it is 98 degrees today and so damn dry the grass smolders in the afternoon. I'll also have to get up at the crack of dawn Saturday and mow my yard so I can come to work and get the server installed, which means I won't be working on the truck like I need to before vacation, which means I'll have to skip riding sometime next week so I can fix the truck. We won't even talk about the bike washing and repair and cleaning the camper that has to happen before then, too. And Sunday's shot because I'll have to usher at church, take mom out for lunch since I missed doing it on Mothers day (hey, there were tornadoes, man) go grocery shopping and clean up the house.

No rest for the weary. Boy, am I weary.

No comments: