Sunday, December 13

Austin - the journey begins

Today my coworker and I departed the cold rainy south for one week of training at the Emerson facility in sunny Austin Texas. Having always heard good things about the other A-town capital, I have been looking forward to the trip. Tag along in spirit, and I will try to keep you updated.

The trip through Atlanta-Hartsfield and the flight out were unremarkable, other than being downgraded to a CRJ-700 for the flight. It's not quite the Miata of commercial jets - more like the bottom rung Camry I guess. Not quite roomy, not quite sporty, but it will get you there without any drama. The view from my cramped window seat was of the top of a flat white cloudbank to the horizon. So I read a book.

The clouds burned off just as we started descending for Austin. The land I could see was flat - a green and brown patchwork of farms and small neighborhoods dotted frequently with water. Small ponds, creeks and rivers seemed to be everywhere, but that could be the result of the aforementioned retreating clouds and rain. The Austin airport is significantly smaller than Hartsfield, but I guess most are. We picked up our rental car (I upgraded us to a nice Mercury Milan - Shh, don't tell anyone!) and headed for the Holiday Inn at Towne Lake. The Hotel is older but has been updated. The room strangely doesn't have a full-drawer dresser, but there are a couple small drawers in the entertainment center that will function. Other than that, it is fairly nice - clean and comfortable. Here's the view:

We drove over to the training center, just to locate it, and then drove back to 6th street downtown to hunt some grub. Sixth Street is the bar and party district of the city, and most of the bars were open. The scene was pretty laid back given that it's Sunday night, but you can see how much fun it could be. The street is in old downtown, so the buildings are all great old brick that have been fixed up to varying degrees. There are bars, curio and tshirt shops, a couple hotels - all kinds of stuff. If you doubled old Cherry Street in Macon, and then stocked it with the Buckhead section of Atlanta and then threw in Little Five Points in Atlanta for the weird factor, I think you'd be approaching Sixth Street. I think if I had gone to college or turned 21 in this town, I would have spent way - WAY - too much time down there.

We ate at Paradise, a nice sports-bar kind of place recommended by Fthr. Chad, a recent Austinite who is now rector at St. Francis in Macon. As per his word, the catfish tacos were outstanding and the bar was nice. They were displaying large original artwork all over the old brick walls, giving it a nice twist in atmosphere. Good art and a mohawked bartender are a rare combination, but it seems to work. The Fireman's 4 pale ale was good, but not outstanding. It was very cold, though, and that's always worth a mention. As it was, I could only drink two.

We'll be exploring several places through the week that were recommended by Chad's lovely wife Amanda, so stay tuned. And if you happen to have a favorite Austin hangout, let me know. We're always looking for something cool to do...

No comments: