Monday, January 5

Patient Update

Well, I've had the bike thoroughly checked out, and it will probably be fixed by the end of the week. The broken shifter just needs a replacement main plastic body, to the tune of about $50 including labor to rebuild it. That's one of the nice things about Campagnolo shifters, they ARE rebuildable, unlike Shimanos.
The front wheel also need to have a spoke replaced and be trued. One spoke had a nasty bend in it, looking like a greater-than sign >. The large side was facing forward. This gives me a little more info about what probably happened. I clearly remember my front wheel making contact with the other bike's drive side rear wheel. I think I must have caught his rear derailleur or frame in my front spokes and turning me into (as one coworker put it) a yard dart. That is the only thing that explains the bent spoke and the severity of the hit I took when no one else went down.
The end result is that the bike will be fully functional again for under a C note, and I'm healing fine. I was never as sore as I expected to be, although I did call in Friday and force myself to stay stationary and heal. By yesterday, I was feeling fine and we put away all the Christmas decorations.

Then today, I woke up puking my guts out. I went to work and tried to tuff it out, but after two episodes hugging the work toilet ( I DON"T reccommend it) I was homeward bound by 9:30. I've spent all day asleep, and I'm feeling much better other than a lingering headache and some wicked body aches. I can't tell if the aches are a sign of a lingering virus, or the post effect of dry heaves following a bike wreck. Life is so not fair sometimes.

1 comment:

H.O. Blues said...

OK, so that took a very unexpected turn. Almost as unexpected as your trip to the "floor." I'm glad that you seem to be healing, inside and out, and will be back on the road and/or trail again very soon.