Monday, June 1

Dining in the Buff (alo)

Lunch at the Pearl Street Brewery and Grill was good. I sampled their Trainwreck Amber Ale, which was quite nice with good roasted malt flavors and a clean, slightly metallic finish. It started to hint at a cream ale consistency, but stopped just short and ended up a little on the thin side. I'd give it 4 of 5 stars. The meal of choice was Beef on Weck. This seems to be the Buffalo city sandwich, sliced roast beef on a Kollenweck (or some such) roll, accompanied by a nice robust au jus and fresh ground horseradish. The Weck roll was nice and crusty with a smear of some kind of sea salt concoction on top. It was very good, a notch or two above any broth-dipped-beef style sandwich I've had. The towering pile of thick cut, skin-on seasoned "pub fries" gets high marks as well. The bill was a bit steep however, at 20 smackers for a sandwich plate and 2 pints, but probably not The atmosphere of the place is fantastic, all old brick, wood, brass and BELT DRIVEN CIELING FANS. No kidding. The building dates back to the late 1800s, but I don't know yet if the fans are authentic or just hella cool.

Sadly, I forgot my camera. But I'll take it next time.

Dinner was at the Lake Effect Diner. Built in 1952 and delivered to Maine, this authentic diner was transported to Buffalo and reopened instead of being scrapped. They now serve the local college crowd a mix of traditional favorites and fresh eats at very good prices. First, the building is unbelievable inside and out. It's the first vintage diner I've been in, and it was too cool for words. Second, the food was really good. I had the stuffed potato pancakes, a house specialty. I opted for the "traditional" version, so I got ham, bacon, grilled onions and peppers, 2 scrambled eggs and provolone cheese stuffed between two potato pancakes. For all my southern friends, potato pancakes are like a beutiful union of scattered hash browns and fluffy pancakes made in Waffle House heaven. It was a great diner meal, nailing down all the familiar comfort foods (except grits) without being gluttonous in proportion or too greasy. I think I've had greasier PB&J, come to think of it. Frighteningly, they also have the best unsweetened tea I've ever had. If I try the sweet tea, it might break my heart. The kicker? The bill was $10. Hell yeah.


So, now I'm about to sack out in my lovely concrete bunker overlooking the interstate. Tomorrow I'll be at the mill all day, so there'll be fewer updates. I may try to make it up to the Falls after work if the weather turns out nice. I'll take plenty of pics.

G'night kiddies.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Why, no Zane, I actually DON'T need contemporary italian furniture, but thanks for the tip.

H.O. Blues said...

That Zane, he's crazy for the Italian contemporary! Great reviews, keep up the good work and good eating.