Monday, June 1

Sunrise, Concourse B


In short order the new job has decided to send me packing. Calm down, it's just for training. I'm flying out this morning for beautiful Buffalo, New York. Ah Buffalo, home of...um...chicken wings. And it's close to Niagara falls. and...uh.....I hear it's beautiful this time of year....

I'll be learning how to run an asphalt emulsion mill in Tonawanda, NY this week. I hope. I'd love to come home with the knowledge to fire one up and run it, but since I've never actually SEEN one, that may be a bit optimistic. Of course, the folks that hired me have never seen one either, so at least I'm not at a disadvantage.

So, here I sit in Concourse B at Hartsfield watching the sunrise with a large cup of Seattles Best coffe that I swear you could sub for jetfuel. It's Good Stuff. The fun part is that my flight doesn't leave for another 2 hours. I guess they've really improved security and check in throughput when I wasn't looking.

The terminal is bustling with business people on their way out for another week on the road, and you can tell the real road warriors easily. They just look bored. The spiffed-up tie-wearers are probably headed out for that critical sales meeting, carrying the hopes of a desparate company in their matching black carry-on roller bags. The rumpled suit coat with no tie must be making the long hike back from the red eye, leaden with the knowledge that his deal didn't go well. Then there's the group of over-chipper grandparents. All shines and smiles, off to Chicago, New York, Vegas, or some other location they would have enjoyed more thirty years ago. Younger people seem to be stumbling through the lanes in pajamas, and I'll keep telling myself they just got off the late-night cheap flight so I don't stand on my there-goes-the-youth soapbox. The human tide continues to wash and recede in waves as the planes come and go.

Man, this is good coffee.


I'll try to keep a travel diary through the week, so check back often.

1 comment:

H.O. Blues said...

Wooo Hooo, cool weather! At least we get some more frequent blogs out of you. Be sure to insert some photos.